Will a Clownfish Make You Giggle? Answers to Some Very Fishy Questions
By Kay Dokken
illustrated by Vicki Marcellan-Allen
32 pages, 8x9 inches, Hardcover, Color illustrations, Glossary
Children (3-7 years old) will delight in this beginner's book on marine life. Clownfish, pistol shrimp, queen angelfish-playing on the images these names evoke, the author tells where twelve animals live and how they got their names. One side of each color spread depicts the animal in a whimsical fashion as it might look in a child's mind, while the facing page shows how the animal actually looks in its appropriate habitat. This book is a great way to introduce future divers to the underwater world. A fun way to learn!
Some of the Topics Covered
About the Author
- Will a clownfish make you giggle?
- Does a queen angelfish wear a crown?
- Can a parrotfish fly?
- How sweet is a jellyfish?
- Will a lemon shark make you pucker?
- Can a fiddler crab play a tune?
- Does a blue-ringed octopus wear rings?
- How many riddles does the ridley turtle know?
- Can a pistol shrimp shoot?
- Does a squirrelfish eat nuts?
- Does a porcupinefish have quills?
- Can a sea horse run a race?
Kay Dokken discovered the fascinating world of the ocean after moving to Corpus Christi, Texas from the dry plains of west Texas in the early 1970's. Inspired by her marine-biologist husband and her own love of the underwater world, Kay's book evolved from teaching her young son about the marine environment.
About the Illustrator
Vicki Marcellan-Allen is an Addy Award-winning artist who works as a designer and illustrator.
"...imaginative and colorful illustration....unusual blend of fanciful fiction and straight science."
-Corpus Christi Caller-Times
"Excellent teaching tool with fascinating information."
-Visibility, U/W Society of America
"...colorful monikers...serve as bait in this underwater primer."